Today’s recipe is a bit unusual but oh so delicious and perfect for the summer. Who doesn’t love a bit of BBQ in the summer??The addition of sweet tea is perfect. Thanks to Glenn Brunett, Pitmaster at WildWood BBQ in Hadley Massachusetts for the recipe.
Sweet Tea Brined Chicken
6 cups of sweet tea (homemade or store bought)
¼ cup Kosher salt
¼ cup sugar
2 Bay Leaves
1-2 chickens (whole, halved, or cut into quarters)
- Rinse and place meat in a one-gallon plastic bag or shallow container with tight-fitting cover.
- Mix together sweet tea with other ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.
- Let marinate in refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours – longer brining will give you a stronger flavor.
- Rinse off marinade and pat chicken dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle meat with poultry BBQ seasoning (optional)
- Smoke, grill, or cook in a preheated 350° oven until internal temperature reaches 150°.
- Let meat rest for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving. (Final temperature should be 160°.)
This recipe takes 5 minutes to Prep, 15 minutes to Make and needs to sit for at least 4 hours before use, and makes 2 quarts. I’d suggest leaving it over night if you can.
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 black tea bags
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 cups cool water
- Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda into a 64-ounce, heat-proof, glass pitcher. Pour in boiling water, and add tea bags. Cover, and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove tea bags, and discard; stir in sugar until dissolved. Pour in cool water, then refrigerate until cold.
My husband would BBQ dinner every day in the summer if I would let him. Have you been BBQ’ing this summer?
Sweet Tea Brined Chicken Recipe by Glenn Brunett the pit master at Wildwood BBQ in Hadley, MA; original article published by Seth Stuman